Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Food Rules Family Project

A few weeks ago while running errands I heard portions of an interview with Michael Pollan on NPR’s On Point. He was discussing his book Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual. In this interview, I heard the term “pink slime” for the very first time. If you are hearing “pink slime” for the first time, go ahead and google “pink slime ground beef”. (Warning, if you gag easily you may want to have something handy). One of the links from my Google search declared “this isn’t food, this is industrial waste”. I have to say I agree. Except it is sold as food to many an unsuspecting consumer and worse yet, to millions of school children as part of a well balanced meal. The lobbyists have succeeded in making sure the consumer is kept ignorant. They have successfully managed to keep items off of the ingredients label by having them classified as “processing agents”. I am disgusted by this and all of the other ways that corporations have interfered with my ability to feed my family simple and nutritious food – real food.

I am a “glass-half-full” kind of a gal. If there is a good side to having ever heard the phrase “pink slime”, it is that my children get it. They don’t literally get “pink slime”, but they get that “pink slime” is not food and they think it is disgusting. All the credit goes to Michael Pollan though. It was his graphic description of “pink slime” that nearly caused my children to toss their cookies. They actually thanked me for being so careful about what I let them eat. Once they had recovered from a sudden urge to throw up, they announced on their own that they will never eat at a fast food restaurant again. (Not that my poor deprived children are ever given that opportunity often – but once in a while I indulge them to just to prove to them, and to myself, that I can relax).

Lashes9 asked me if in the future if I ever saw him about to eat “crap” that wasn’t good for him, would I please tell him. Noodle12 has, on his own, picked up my copy of Omnivore’s Dilemma and has begun reading it.

Spurred on my offsprings’ enthusiasm and interest and disgust, I decided to buy Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual and make it a family project. We will read two new rules each day – one at lunch and one at dinner. These rules will be a springboard for further inquiry into the ways we can nourish ourselves in a more healthful manner, where our food comes from, and how the corporate food production system has complicated what is a both a fundamental and pleasurable activity. As a bonus, since we homeschool, we can count this project both as science and current events.

For the record, I consider myself careful and informed about the foods I feed my family. I also admit that I have relaxed my standards a bit as our family increased from 2 kids to 6 kids in 2 years time. Food is expensive and I can no longer afford to buy everything from our local organic store. We are fortunate in that we are able to buy our milk, eggs, cheese, and meat locally. We attempt a garden every year. We shop at our local farmers’ market. I am able to buy grains and beans in bulk. Even with all of that, I still find myself shopping in a big box store buying breakfast cereal or crackers or granola bars.

I am so curious to see how we measure up to the “food rules”. I’m sure we are in for a few surprises and sacrifices, but ultimately all of us should end up healthier, better informed consumers going forward. Stay tuned to future posts about our discoveries and the life-style changes we make as a result.

2 comments:

naturalmom said...

I'm not sure I want to know what pink slime is! I love Michael Pollen though. I read both "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food". The former was more interesting, but the latter was more inspiring to my personal food habits. We buy/raise food a lot like you do, though with only 3 kids (costing less $$ per meal) and living in town, we indulge in the occasional fast-food meal more often than you, I'm sure. (Thus my ambivalence about the pink slime information! Eww!)

Keep updating about the food rules. Sounds interesting!

Just Me said...

Thanks Stephanie. I haven't read In Defense of Food. It looks like Pollan's Food Rules is a pared down version of thatbook. It doesn't contain a lot of the science or history. I think I need to get it as a companion for this project of ours.

I know what you mean about the ambivalence. I think I could have lived without ever having heard about pink slime. It made the kids want to know what is in food at Chik fila. I haven't really looked yet, because for some reason I feel ok about eating there when the need arises. I'm sure I'm probably wrong about that.

I've decided to put this project on a separate blog. It is at worldmaderound.wordpress.com. If you are interested in how it is going.

I've been having a lot of problems with blogger and firefox. I can't even comment on blogger blogs right now when I'm using firefox.